Saturday, April 19, 2014

Of Prayers, Dislike and Good Governance

I was told to use my time more wisely to pray for this administration rather than run my mouth castigating it at every turn. Those who know me well knew one thing well. I had something to say about that. See?

And to think that I don't even write everything that comes to my mind? If I was to really go ballistics you'd be at want for adjectives with which to convey your candid though acerbic observation.

Let us assume that I don't pray for the country and our leaders, (do not even add the general Prayer For Nigeria In Distress, no), say I don't, of what percentage does that represent? 1 out of millions, nay hundreds of millions? I'm not sure you're trying to tell me that until I add my own set of prayers, God will stay action on intervening. I'd try not to believe that.

But let's take it further. Even if millions on both sides of the major religious divide in Nigeria do not consider it their civic and religious obligations to pray for him, the press has been kind enough to show us religious ceremonies the president faithfully attends, ceremonies where the ministers of the Almighty and prophets of the Most High take it upon themselves to commit him to the Power above every other. If my sinner-prayer will not turn to a curse on him, as those of our other country men, all of whom have sinned and are less glorious than they should be, what of the prayers of those the Lord has ordained for His ministry? Imagine the efficacies of their supplications on his behalf? And I'm here referring only to the ones we see oo! God alone knows how many more of such prayers and intercessions are held on his behalf, especially by those who know that his continued stay in power is their only "sure banker" way of maintaining their access to the common till.

What has become of the man-hours expended in these prayers? That you even subtly suggest that his wisdom direly requires increment to reach depths necessary to move the country forward carries with it the implicit concession that those prayers seen to not have struck the mark. I'd be rehashing a hackneyed wisecrack by saying that the evil that is sucking away at what is left of the fibres of life here is emboldened by the cowardly silence, that pretends to be at prayer, of those who may be referred to as good, or better still, as victims who unfortunately haven't realised their varied states of victimisation.

What will it cost me to take everything to God in prayer? Even children and babies do that much, do they not? But it takes no small amount of effort and courage to be so informed that you can speak out, that you can, as you prefer to term it, "castigate" (I know I'm more acidic than cajoling, tho) those who have been picked to serve but who do everything else but serve. That takes everything you've got, and more. Does it not occur to you that having attained a level of spiritual maturity, you realise that you must of needs raise your voice, as all truly ordained prophets have done through history even until the events of GOOD FRIDAY, against the evils of their day because they know that it will be evil of them not to?

Prayer should move you to act and oftentimes this action calls that you don't keep silent in the face of injustice, in an atmosphere of insensitivity irrespective of how many times you're accused of being a person-hater or a paid hand. You know where your motives lie and you sympathise with the naysayers who do not even understand their own gods enough to naively conceive that prayers alone suffice.

I may not have told you about my prayers but I'd be the last, in fact I'd not stop to CASTIGATE such errant bestial and insensitive government that is daily proving that, in saner climes, it wouldn't need an opposition (which we neither have) to lose elections.

And you know I don't like GEJ? Really? Didn't know twas that obvious. Wow!

No comments: