Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Social Media Godliness of Single Folks

I had the impulse recently to share a thought about status updates and real life status and acted on the impulse. The past I shared on Twitter, Facebook and BBM innocuously (if that term has currency on contemporary social media, it is arguable) claimed that most of those who post God-related statuses and pictures were single. It was meant to be on the fairer side of humour where readers would chance upon it, chew on it a while, ponder examples around them a little, smile at the correctness or otherwise of the claim, shake their heads, leave a comment if it so picks their fancy and go on with their jolly lives. Little did I know I had pried open something akin to a Pandora's Ghana-Must-Go. As a serial God-related status-poster and pic-uploader, I was the primary target of the avalanche of reactions it eructed.

Let me immediately state, as I've been met with the affirmation by some friends already who claim that I ought to be number one on this list based on how much (95%, as one friend said) of my statuses are God-related, that singularity (used here in my own terms), as at the time of posting this, hasn't been declared a crime and can be, based on individual preferences, much better than a relationship that's going nowhere fast.

Secondly, the fact of the use of the words "most" and "mostly" indicate that this wasn't a general categorical statement but that some leverage was given for a marginal percentage under which would fall some married folks or some peeps in committed relationships who still see some value in sharing God-related statuses and pics would fall. Then, there's the taxonomy of those who have dedicated their lives to not marrying, just as much as those for whom relationships, single-lives or celibacy have nothing to do with their social interaction.

However, all these tend to simply obfuscate the simplicity of a funny, simple and otherwise harmless crack at making a joke. No offence but do we always have to make the simple complex? I guess I should be asking myself.

No comments: